Friday, July 3, 2009

The Importance of Being Earnest



I had heard a lot of people say that Oscar Wilde was a really funny writer. I tend to lean toward funny books so I was interested in seeing what this Irishman had to offer. Needless to say, I was not disappointed--this play really was funny.
The plot follows two scheming friends who can barely keep up with their own mischief. They end up getting caught up in their lies and deceptions, but since its a romantic comedy, things all work out in the end.
This book is good if you're looking for a nice, short read that can be finished in only one or two sittings. It's also a light read with a lot of satire and puns.
By the way, the publisher of this book is Dover. I have been liking them a lot lately. They have several of their books at my school bookstore and they are very cheap. I bought this one new for only $1.50. They do a lot of other classics for good prices as well in this series called Dover Thrift Editions. Check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment