Saturday, December 12, 2009

Freak the Mighty


This book by Rodman Philbrick has several elements of a traditional young adult novel, but also contains elements that make it unique. For me, stories about kids with rare diseases can be bad, but in this case it worked well. What I mean with the diseases is that sometimes an author can try too hard to be different, but I didn’t get that feeling from Philbrick. Everything he put in there added to the story and seemed unforced.
The story is about a huge kid named Max who feels like he is slow and dumb. He becomes friends with his new neighbor, Freak, who is extremely intelligent and suffers from a growth disease that has left him only a few feet tall. As you may expect, they learn from each other and "grow" and stuff because of their unique friendship.
I like that the two main characters aren't super likable all the time. Freak is kind of snotty sometimes and Max can be sarcastic and rude. Max’s voice reminded me of a lot of kids I knew in high school, myself included.
This book raises interesting questions about judging people. For the most part, of course, judgments tend to be wrong. But this book also contains an instance where Max's grandparent's judgment of his father is correct. They say he's a good-for-nothing criminal and that pretty much ends up being true.
The ending is sad, I guess, although quite predictable. That’s one criticism I have with the book. Sometimes I just feel like the death of someone close is too common a theme in adolescent literature. Sometimes it can be the cop out way of adding drama to a story. I know authors are trying to stray away from stuff that’s unrealistically chipper, but it’s not like everyone around dying is always the best way to do that. But besides that, I did like this book a lot.
P.S. I saw a few minutes of the movie adaptation of this book, The Mighty. From what I saw, it looked bad. Like with most movies, it looked like they took a good story and made it really corny and sentimental.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting, although I generally try to forget the pitfalls of junior high!

    ReplyDelete